Google

Friday, October 07, 2005

It's time for a change

Well, this post is actually me killing two birds with one stone; the first is my revelation of the sorts of revolutions I have seen and the second is the title change for my blog. But let's hit the first bird.

In my life, I guess I have been fortunate. I've witnessed several mini-revolutions of sorts. I was there for the sudden Internet Boom in the 1990s. Hell, I was one of the participants!

I was there for the sudden popularity of video games where who were once geeks, were now heroes and suddenly oh-so-cool. I've played video games since I was 8 years old and I haven't stopped since. I know all too well the label that people give you (i.e. geek, freak, dweeb) and now, the same people that labelled me are now part of the same group.

I was there for the birth of MP3, and also was one of the first people in Malaysia to start downloading them by the truckloads. I remember my first download took 3 days (it was the day of the 56kbps blazing fast dial up connection) and after I got it, was blown away at the clarity of the sound, seeing as it was the first mp3 I've ever downloaded. I still remember the title, Elton John's Candle in the Wind (It was Sher Win's! I swear!) Before that all we ever had was midi and wav format files to listen to.

I was also there for the broadband boom in Malaysia. It was an exciting concept, but at the time pricey, so I made do with my old 56kbps connection until the price started dropping. Then and only then did I subscribe to broadband (and never looked back ever again)

Then there's the 'Smaller is Better' revolution. Everything is getting shrunk, mp3 players, cameras, handphones, even skirts! Take a look at the iPod Nano, quite possibly the smallest mp3 player I've ever had my grubby little hands on (though I'm only purchasing it in November), Handphones are getting packed with more features and in even smaller bodies than before. I remember my first phone, an Ericsson (That's how old the phone is, wayyy before Ericsson became Sony Ericsson); it was a reallly bulky phone that took up most of the space in my left pants pocket. Now my Sony Ericsson takes no more than 1/4 of that space. Skirts, well, that's pretty self-explanatory.

Phew, that's a lot of changes to see and I'm just in my early 20s. Anyway, to the second bird; I'm changing the blog's name and URL. The reason why is that I didn't really think the name through a lot back when I started this blog, mainly because I probably was a lil' too tired at the time, hence the name of the blog shall now be OxyMoronic! The name is in effect as of now while the URL will only be changed to http://oxymoronic.blogspot.com next week.

So hold on to your horses ladies and gents, cause we in for the ride of your lives.