Google

Sunday, August 28, 2005

World Cyber Games @ Midvalley Megamall

Hey, before I start my summary of what went on in the WCG National Championships, I'd like to say that my brother's girlfriend got the cat her own catster page. Go give it a lil' visit if you like.


Like I said, this morning woke up a 8am for breakfast at Raju's. It's wonderful mamak(and an expensive one too) restaurant that sells the usual malaysian breakfast fare such as roti canai, dhal, fried ikan tenggiri and sotong bawang goreng. Yes, fried spanish mackerel and fried squid with onions. Not exactly your normal Malaysian breakfast but damn did it ever hit the spot. Most satisfying breakfast I've had in weeks.


After breakfast headed straight to Midvalley, seeing as it was early (10.30AM!!!!) There wasn't really much of a traffic situation that we could possibly face on the way. Walked in and found out that a game was about to begin, they were starting the StarCraft:Brood Wars competition. Quite interesting to see how the real pros play. They move that mouse quite fast. But I've been to Korea, where StarCraft is a national game, they even have a TV show dedicated to it. By chance I was staying at a hotel where one of the locations the show shoots at was closeby and I went to see it for myself. My jaw dropped, they don't even use the mouse over there. All done by keyboard and they only hit the mouse when they need to move a unit or attack. Damn...


After Starcraft, they played NFS:Underground. Quite interesting, the winner of this game kept on winning by a good 6 - 7 seconds ahead of his competitior.


After that, there was the FIFA 2005 competition. Quite good I must say. The way he was playing, I could swear the guy who won doesn't even look at the players, only the mini map at the bottom of the screen (He passes really really far). It was funny too. The audience was watching the game as though it was a real World Cup match (I screamed "GOOAAALLLLLL!!!!!")


I left after awhile, got boring, especially when they had that half-time show with the Malaysian Yoyo Team. God, I don't know what the hell people are thinking nowadays. Seriously? Yoyos? What kind of skill is that? One of them was a real attention whore, had the balls to stand in front of the big screen, trying to get people to see his stupid tricks when all we want to do is watch the game. Most people go to the WCG because they're gamers and they wanna see how the best perform, not some kid with a yoyo!


Some of the more funny highlights is the Warcraft Orc vs. The TS Pau thingy! In case you can't see, the orc's bashing the pau thingy with his hammer!












Although I think the funniest thing was when they made the Orc dance to The Village People's 'YMCA'. Seriously, he did it, with his hammer as well and then he made 3 other people try to follow him. The MC did quite a good job, though at times I found him a bit stale but he kept his audience well entertained. Oooh! And Orc also tried his hand in Yoyos! Now that, I'd pay to see, not some attention whore with two yoyos in hand.


They also had this "Samsung Malaysia Model Search" which was really a farce. 3 guys and only 1 girl participated. The Prize? A Samsung jersey which was blue because "They're sponsoring Chelsea" Anyway, the girl was cute, really cute but the guy won. He deserved it the way he flashed his legs. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I should have taken a video of that, but too bad I was seated too far away for my camera to capture, though I did get the girl's performance though. NO! I'm not sharing. It's too blurry anyway. I tried capturing it with the camera function but again, it's too blurry (ARGH! I NEED A DIGITAL CAMERA!!!!)


They also had cosplay, loads and loads of cosplay, especially from RO (Gameflier's one of the co-sponsors). I found a blacksmith, two alchemists and a rogue. DAMN IT! What happened to the ASSASSINS???!!! Anyway, on to the booth babes. Ahhh the booth babes, nothing shall compare to them. In every exhibit, they work hard to get you to pay attention to their flyers and booth rather than their... "assets" but if their employers wanted the audience to focus on the booths, they would've hired men to do the job then.


But seriously, the pau thing was cute, especially when it was in hide mode. The guy inside would just kneel and the whole costume would support itself on the floor and all he had to do was pull his arms in. The orc had loads of fun hitting Pau. Pau had loads of fun using a furry scarf to whip at orc. I had fun laughing at the two.


Anyway, on to the rest of the commentaries. I won't bother with Warcraft III: Frozen throne mainly because it was pretty straight forward. Onto the Counter-Strike!!! Yeah, the competitors were FMJ and Hybrid. FMJ supporters were out in full force, the girl who participated in that modelling thing was one of them. Quite interesting seeing as how some cried when FMJ lost a round. Just one round, and it was a very long round too. But nonetheless, FMJ won the race to 20 at the end and was declared the champions. I liked watching them play, very quick and very accurate. I feel like calling in a CS session with my friends. Haven't played for awhile really...



Now, I shall leave you with Mr. Pau!!!